Wizard Barristers: Benmashi Cecil - Review

by - 1:53 AM

I came to know about this anime just some weeks ago, while I was doing my 'Best and Worse 2014 anime' review. I checked out all the 2014 anime and this came up, I hadn't heard about it or seen it so I figured I'd give it a go after reading the plot. It seemed interesting.
It's just a 12 episodes anime so it didn't take long to finish, actually I watched it all in a day (I know, I have no life, lol). I'd be lying if I said I'm not disappointed at all, but I really really enjoyed it, so much I want a second season right now! 
So let's go thought each point, shall we?

1) Plot
It's 2018 in Tokyo, people and wizards (Wud) live together, apparently, peacefully. Wizards are controlled by the Magic Prohibition Law, a magic law controlled by the court of magic and defended by wizards barristers from various law firms. Cecil, half japanese half canadian, is the youngest wizard barrister at age 17. After a mysterious incident she decides to go to Japan and work at the Butterfly Law Offices, to save her mother. 
The story is complex but very well thought, it's intriguing and interesting especially if you're into fantasy stuff. But kind of a mess (I'll get into that later).
2) Characters
I loved them, every single one of them. All characters are unique and have so much pontential! But this may as well be a bad point, since they gave each character little to none space. Almost zero background. They could have developed them in a bazillion ways, but we're stuck with a general view of everyone, except the main character, with no dept at all. And it's such a shame! 
3) Too much, too little.
Like I said in point #2, the story and characters were well written and had potential but somehow this blew up in the studio's face. Why? They did too much in a really short time of 12 episodes, so we really didn't get a full understanding of everything. Actually a lot of things and explaining are missing, so the viewer will just get more confused, like 'wtf, why, sjdfjiosdjk ?!#' and I'm not even joking. They tried to put everything into the last two episodes but failed. I really think the concept was amazing, but the realization got probably stucked somewhere (too much effects and CGI?)
Rumor has it that they had some major budget problem, but it sucks to be left like that. Also, as I've heard, the review were pretty negative as the ratings, so no second season for us. Again, it sucks.


My vote is 7.

Despite reading a lot of negative review about it, I'll say I really enjoyed this anime. It had a lot of black holes but it was fairly good. I really do hope they'll make another season to explain all the things they left hanging midhair (gawhh! that pissed me off so much!) and give some major background to the other characters.

This is the opening 'Justitia' by Lia, I love it so much! It increased my expectations a lot ahahha, because there are parts in it that were never in the show.

By the way can you guess who my favourite character is? Hint: long white hair.

Until next time ♡✩

You May Also Like

0 comments

Instagram