Best and Worse anime of 2014!

by - 2:32 PM

The time has come to do a review/ranking of all the 2014 anime I saw the last year (some of them arent' finished yet), I don't usually watch sci-fi, mecha and such so there's a lot that's missing but I just don't like those genres. So let's start!!

Tokyo Esp: A sci-fi/action anime of 12 episodes. It starts when glowing fish spread up into the air and give strange powers to selected people. Rinka Urushiba, once a normal high school girl, is one of them and find herself fighting for justice together with a boy who teleports, a penguin, a man in a panda-suit and two kids.

Opening 'Tokyo Zero Hearts' by Faylan, with eng-sub:  
I think this'll be the only action/sci-fi anime I'll write about in this post, lol. I follow the manga too so I had to watch it. The animation is really good, I was just taken a back a little at the first episode, since they put a kind of fast-forward and then explained the current story with a flashback. Mhn, confusing. It's pretty crude, so it's not for everybody. My vote is 8.

Glasslip: Slice of life/slightly supernatural anime of 13 episodes. The story revolves around Touko Fukami, an high school girl living in a little town, who can see the future and her friends. Everything goes on normally until a boy, Kakeru Okikura, who can hear the future, comes into the picture.

Opening 'Natsu no Hi to Kimi no Koe' by Choucho:
This will certainly be the most harsh comment I'll give. DON'T WASTE TIME on this. You'll get your hopes up, for something to happen, till the very end and then you'll end up regretting watching this utter mess. I loved the animation, plot was good too, but it didn't develop at all and cut off things in the middle. My vote is 3. 

Orenchi no Furo Jijo: A comedy/slice of life anime, still ongoing. It revolves around an handsome merman finding himself living everyday in the bathtub of a young boy.

The opening is just so misleading, lol. Here is it:

A good surprise. It last few minutes so you can catch up and watch it even if you haven't much time. So it's really convenient, the animations is really good and the story is really funny and cute too. It's really simple, just as you see it, but you'll get addicted. My vote is 7. 

Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus : Drama/Supernatural anime, 10 episodes. Ciel has a new order from the Queen: to to find out why so many children are suddenly go missing. Apparently a Circus is involved, so Ciel and Sebastian infiltrates to find out the truth.

Opening 'Enamel' by Sid, here it is:

Little premise; I hated the first Kuroshitsuji season, at least the way it ended. It was totally a filler (= not like the manga), but I had to change my mind once I saw the second season. It follows the manga story and it's so good! Mostly because I love this 'saga' so I might be biased, but it's really well done. My vote is 8.

Sailor Moon Crystal: Drama/supernatural anime of 13 episodes. 'Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal' is a reboot of the first season of Sailor Moon.

Opening 'Moon Pride' by Momoiro Clover Z:

 I have mixed feelings about it, if you wanna know more read this. I love Sailor Moon and this series follows the manga faithfully as opposite as the first version. The animation is modern but too much CG and I think that kind of ruined it. My vote is 7. (if not for the animation it would have been 10).

Shonen Hollywood: Holly Stage for 49 : Idol/slice of life anime of 13 episodes. An ex-famous and retired idol forms a new group of young idols, each boy has a different story and background.

I had an hard time to find the opening, but here is it (or is this the ending?):

Sorry but it was so boring!!! I was so happy that a male version of all those idol anime was made but then I was really disappointed. The animation is so-so, I don't really like the way characters are drawn but the worse thing is the anime itself. It made me sleep, and that's all I have to say. Still, kudos for trying.
My vote is 4. 

Himegoto: School/Comedy anime of 13 episodes. Tells the story of Hime Arikawa, a young boy who is forced, by the all female student council, to crossdress in order to pay off his debt.

Opening 'Troublemaker' by My Me Mine:

It's supposed to be a comedy but it really didn't make me laugh. I still have to finish it so maybe I'll change my mind later but for now.. My vote is 5. 

Ao Haru Ride: Shoujo/Drama/ School anime of 12 episodes + 2 specials. The main character is Yoshioka Futaka, she had a troubled past because girls ostracized her since boys liked her. So she act like a tomboy, but she's exposed by Tanaka Kou, her middle school crush. Useless to say, she falls in love with him again.. but he's not on the same page anymore, at all.

The opening is 'Sekai wa Koi ni Ochiteiru':

Pretty much like the manga, it's a good story with a cute-really good animation. I don't have much to say, the story is predictable but will make your heart skip a beat. If you're into shoujo and school romance you should totally watch this! My vote is 7 1/2.

Hanayamata: School/Slice of life anime of 12 episodes. Tells the story of a group of girls who starts a 'yosakoi dance' club.

Opening 'Hana ha Odoreya Irohaniho':
I watched this anime out of boredom and sticked to the very end just because the characters are really cute. The graphic is awesome, soft and girly, but the story is very predictable and boring. Still a good watch if you don't know what to do. My vote is 6

Free!Eternal Summer: School/Sports anime of 13 episodes. It's the second season of 'Free!'.

  Opening is 'Dried Up Youthful Fame' by OldCodex:  
This isn't even a sport anime anymore, it's full on fanservice, lol! Don't get me wrong, I like it like this, (they're all so handsome!), but I found this season kind of slow. My vote is 6 1/2. 

Shirobako: Comedy/Slice of life anime of 24 episodes. Follows the daily work of Aoi Miyamori in a little animation studio and her friends, struggling to realize their high-school dream of creating an anime together.

 Opening 'Colorful box' by Yoko Ishida :
Really surprising anime! I though 'woah, an anime about making anime must be so utterly boring!'.. well, I was wrong! This anime is so much fun and I really love it! Also graphic is lovely. 
My vote is 9.

Dragon Ball Z Kai: Shounen/Martial Arts/Action anime of 38 episodes. Reboot of the original Dragon Ball Z, during the Majin Bu saga.

 Opening 'Kuu-Zen-Zetsu-Go' by Takayoshi Tanimoto :  
Basically the cut off all those lame fillers of the original Dragon Ball Z anime, plus an updated animation. And thank god they did, this is just awesome for those who wants to watch the original DBZ saga withouth interruptions. Mostly because it's DBZ, my vote is 8.

Soul Eater Not!: Comedy/Action/Supernatural anime of 12 episodes. Side story of 'Soul Eater', revolves Tsugumi Harudori, a wepon of the 'NOT (Normally Overcome Target) class' with two meisters, Meme Tatane and Anya Hepburn, who'll have to learn to fight and overcome her insecurities.

 Opening 'Monochrome' by Dancing Dolls:  
I really liked it! I have to say, I prefered the animated version to the manga one. This one it's more cutesy but I think it flows better than the manga, which kind of seemed too slow. Don't watch it with your normal 'Soul Eater' expectation, cause it's NOT (pun intended). My vote is 8.

Haikyu!!: Sport/Shounen anime of 25 episodes. Tells the story of Shouyou Hinata, a talented but unlucky volleyball player, who'll find his dream team in high school partnered with the famous but intimidating Tobio Kageyama.

 Opening 'Imagination' by SPYAIR:
The only 'real' sport anime I saw and liked. Frankly, I was quite skeptical but I'm glad I saw it, since it turned out to be a really good story about friendship and volleyball. Also, since it's sport and there are lots of movements, it translates better as animation. My vote is 7.

Love Live! School Idol Project season 2 : Idol/School anime of 13 episodes. Second season of 'Love Live!School Idol Project'.

 Opening 'Sore Wa Bokutachi no Kiseki', couldn't find the video but this is the original song:
I loved the first season of 'Love Live!' and I'm glad it became so successful, I liked this season too although it wasn't as exciting and awesome as the first one. My vote is 7.

Nisekoi: Comedy/Harem/Romance anime of 20 episodes. Tells the story of Raku Ichijou, a boy born in a yakuza family, who just wish to live quietly and is in love with her classmate Kosaki Onodera. But he is forced into a fake-engagement with Chitoge Kirisaki, born into a powerful gangster family, to prevent a war between the two families. On the top of that he has a pendant, a locket, given to him by his first love and he has to find her.

 Opening 'Click' by ClariS:
I follow the manga so I was really happy when they made the anime and I have to say it's pretty similar to the manga, so I love it!! And I'm cheering for Chitoge! My vote is 8.

Soni-Ani:Super Sonico the animation: Ecchi/Music anime of 12 episodes. Sonico is a shy college-girl who loves to sing with her girl-band but is also a mascotte/image girl for Nitroplus.

Opening "Beat goes on!" by Ayano Yamamoto:

I tried watching this but I could just finish 2 episodes. It's utterly boring and somewhat stupid, even though the characters are cute, the plot is almost non-existent. It's all for the sake of boobs, so yeah, it had a specifical audience.
Still my vote is 4.

Wake-Up Girls: Idol/Slice of life anime of 12 episodes. A little company on the verge of shutting down promotes a new idol unit of 7 girls, one of which was once part of another famous idol group. 

Opening (couldn't find the video for this either booh) 'Stand Up!':  
Tried to watch this one too, but I couldn't finish it. It's fairly good, but boring and sometimes depressing. It's still watchable but there are so many better idol-animes that you'll probably drop this. My vote is 5.

                                                           *********

I tried to include all the new anime of the season, I didn't manage to watch all of them but these were some of the most 'popular' and hyped up. So, hopefully, next will be a list of 2015 anime! :D

You May Also Like

0 comments

Instagram