Drama Review: Strong Woman Do Bong Soon ep.1

by - 1:32 PM


Time for another k-drama review! This time I'll do a first impression-first episode type of thing, and who knows, maybe I'll continue with all the other episodes too. Anyway, before giving out too much, here's some infos. Strong Woman Do Bong Soon is a JTBC 2017 korean drama, with a total of 16 episodes, just recently completed.

Plot: Bong-Soon was born with superhuman strenght, this power has been passed down every generation to the women of the family only. While this power may look like a blessing it has a curse too, it must not be used for personal benefit or something bad will happen to the holder. One day while trying to stop some thugs, she is seen using her powers by a young man and several children. That man is Min-Hyun, the young CEO of a gaming company, she'd want to work for. Oddly enough, he tries to hire her.. to be his bodyguard! 


Indeed, he needs a bodyguard lately since he's been having some threats from unknown people, as well as being spied and followed. So he swears to the policemen that she didn't use any 'powers' as the children revealed, and promised Bong-Soon to give her a shot with her dream job if she could successfully protect him.


Since she needs money and a job, she accept. All the while, some strange murders occur in her neightbour and her childhood friend, Kook-Doo, a policeman who takes his job very seriously, is investigating it. She is in love with him but he doesn't notice her feelings and has already someone else. Neverthless, he worries about her and isn't too happy about her (work)relationship with Min-Hyuk. 

Conclusion:  So.. To tell you the truth I approached this drama full of hope. I was fresh from watch 'Weightlifting fairy Kim Book Joo' -which I loved- and I thought it must be something with a similar theme. Weeell, not really. 
I realize it's just the first episode, so I'm gonna give it one more try and not be too harsh. Honestly though, I was a little disappointed. Even though the characters are well developed, they fall a little flat. The plot seems a little bit too obvious and calls for a love triangle between the 3 main characters right at the beginning. Where is the element of surprise? As for them, I really like Kook-Doo, he is oddly weird but very serious at the same time and just cool. Not so much Min-Hyuk who looks really childish and arrogant, not appealing at all to me. As for Bong-Soon..annoying. I had high hopes for her, she had it all: cute, cool power, interesting background. But she seems a little bit too arrogant and again, annoying. I hope it's just my impression on the first episode though. 

The 3 actors together at the press conference, from the left: Park Hyung-Sik, Park Bo-Young and 
Ji-Soo. 

Like I said it's just a first impression and maybe I'll change my mind in the future, so stay tuned for the other reviews! 

You May Also Like

0 comments

Instagram