Cellphones in Japan

by - 11:05 AM


If you're new to this topic this is the post for you.  As you may know by now if you follow my blog, I'm going to Japan this summer. I'm happy but there are things that I didn't consider at all.  Like cellphones.
Best option of all is to use Skype. Normal cellphones don't work in Japan, at least if you don't have a smartphone. Well, I don't have a smartphone so, what can I do?

There are options, of course : 
  1. Rental phones and sim cards. This is one of the most used methods for travellers, basically you rent a japanese cellphone and use it until you're there. You can find them right at the airport once you've arrived and when it's time to leave you give it back.  You just need to have your passport ID and credit card with you, the rental fee is usually 250-1000 yen per day plus a usage fee of 70-200 yen per minute.
  2. Prepaid phones and sim cards.  First thing you need to know is that those type of phones are for people who are  going to stay in Japan for a month or more. You can get them for 5000-7000 yen, plus an additional fee for every feature you choose. Receiving calls is free but making them is a bit expensive. Softbank provides prepaid phone. The trick is that most phones are not that new or great.. and you don't have so many option to choose from.
  3. Subscription plans. That is a very convenient one,  since you pay once at the end of the month as opposed to prepaid phones where you pay before even using it, however it's available just for residents and owners of a Japanese bank account. You can also buy it at full price with a month to month contract. For this type of plan the selection is simply huge.
  4. International roaming. If you don't want to do anything of this just bring your phone and before leaving make a roaming plan with your Country's provider. I would not recommend it since it's super expensive though.
  5. Non-contract plans. If your phone works just fine in Japan, same GSM frequency and all, you can just buy a sim card from Docomo or Softbank. That is mostly for people staying long-term. Or you get B-mobile, it's fairly cheap but it's a data communication only product, so you can't make phone-calls or send sms.

I hope I got it all right, hehe, I checked a lot of sites and It's so confusing. I still don't know what to do. Normally, if I didn't have such worrywart parents I'll be fine with just Skype but seems like that's not the case for me ( ´͈ д `͈ ) what should I do~

On another note:  remember the prefix when calling from or to Japan! Otherwise your call won't get trough.

You May Also Like

0 comments

Instagram