Things to do before going to Japan

by - 2:41 AM


So..I got plane tickets! Now it's really really official! Anyway I have a month to prepare things for my travel, so here are the things I need to do before leaving to Japan:

1- Recap.

I'll be studying at a school for foreign people and I already took a test to define my current level..BUT.. I was advised to memorize for good hiragana, katakana and numbers. So that's what I'm doing right now and I found the perfect sites. Check them out.


You click 'Test me' to start and below 'switch to katakana' to change it up and memorize that too. It's a great help.

2- Make a list of things you'll need.

That's a pretty oblivious one, but it's necessary. I already started to make one but I'm adding up as the time passes. Since I have a crap memory, I forgot easily, and this is essential, because you'll be in a foreing country for a month, with no parents or many friends, and at least you'll need your stuff.  
Check out the weather for that month and consider the season and everything. So make sure to do a list, divide it into 'Shopping' -that is things you need to buy- and  'Suitcase' for the things you already have. 

3- Remember basic manners.

Japanese people are very understanding but cares a lot about their culture, so even if you are a Gaijin (foreigner) you need to learn at least the most basic ones, just in case. You don't want to go to another country and offend everyone, right?

So remember  to :
  • Don't walk in japanese's houses or temples with your shoes on.
  • Make sure to always have a nice pair of clean socks -and bring lots of them-
  • Don't talk in a loud voice.
  • Always be respectful and say ''arigatou' and 'sumimasen' when you have to.
  • Bow when it's required 
There are a lot,  and I'll keep adding them,  but I think those are enough for now. 

4- Be sure to write down the currency exchange in yen.

Since you'll  go shopping there you need to know the difference between your country currency and Japan's. Be sure to memorize it first, or write it down, so you won't have trouble when you'll have to pay.

Currency converter

Here is the link to the yahoo converter, it's pretty easy when you memorize what one yen amounts to in dollars-euro-whatever it is.


5- Don't be afraid to experiment.

I'm trying to take my own advice here since I'm a scaredy cat and it's not easy to change. But that's something I strongly want, so I'm trying my best. I'll have to eat food that I hate and do things I'm not used to,  but this is a once in a lifetime opportunity so no complaints.
Live the moment, enjoy, have fun!

That's it for now. I still can't believe I'll go to Japan, wish me luck!

 Ja nee!

You May Also Like

0 comments

Instagram